October 30, 2012

yummy: caramel pumpkin pie

It's fall. I kicked against it at first, even though I love fall, because after fall comes winter. And that lasts for approximately 45 months of the year and we get four days of summer and then two days of fall and spring is like, What's that?
But I always succumb to the charm of fall after sniffing pumpkin candles and pulling out my sweaters and boots.
And this year... I'm baking!
This is a first. Remember I hate cooking, still do, and always will? But I'm thinking maybe I've been taken over by an alien or something because I'm suddenly like, Let's make pie and pumpkin doughnuts and jam and other stuff.
And I found a recipe for a delish pie. I made said delish pie. It was delish. 
So now I'll share the recipe... you can make the pie... you can invite me over... and I'll help you polish it off.
Because I'm your friend like that.

Caramel Pumpkin Pie

For the crust:

2 cups flour
2/3 cups shortening (or butter)
1 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
10 tsp water

Sift flour,sugar, and salt together.
Using one of those cool pastry cutter thingys, cut half your shortening/butter into the flour.
Cut in the rest of the shortening.
Add water, 1 tsp at a time, pressing it in with a fork until all the dough is moistened.
Roll the dough into a ball, and let stand for several minutes.
Roll out the dough. (I love this part! I feel like I should be wearing one of those tall, white chef's hats when I'm rolling out dough.) You'll have extra dough. You could eat it... or throw it away... or give it to the kids to play with... or whatever.
When the dough is rolled thin enough (You want it pretty thin. Or at least that's the way I like it.), place it in a pie plate and bake at 450 for 12 to 15 minutes.
Remove from oven and cool.


For the filling:

1 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup water
1 tsp lemon juice
2 cups half and half
8 egg yolks
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
4 tsp unflavored gelatin
2/3 cup water
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 cup whipping cream
cool whip

Combine granulated sugar, water, and lemon juice in saucepan, and stir over low heat until sugar has dissolved.
Increase heat to medium high; cook until a medium amber color, about 10 minutes.
Remove from heat; add half and half (and watch the mix bubble and boil like the coolest science project ever!).
Return to low heat; stir until caramel dissolves into cream.
Set aside and keep warm.

Whisk together egg yolks, brown sugar, cornstarch, vanilla, and salt until well combined.
Still whisking, slowly add caramel mixture into the bowl until well combined.
Transfer to saucepan; whisk over medium heat until thickened, about 8 minutes.
Transfer into a bowl, cover tightly, and refrigerate for 2 hours.

After chilling, layer half the caramel filling into the bottom of cooled pie crust.

Boil 2/3 cup water; add gelatin, stir until dissolved.
Transfer to bowl.
Stir in pumpkin puree, pie spice, and remaining half of the caramel cream.

In small bowl beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form; gently fold into pumpkin mixture.
Spread over caramel mixture in pie crust.
Refrigerate 3-4 hours.
Top with cool whip. (Or top with meringue. Or homemade whipped cream. I just like cool whip, yo.)


That's it. A glorified pumpkin pie. It's wonderful and perfect for fall days.

Love,
The Delish Pie Maker


Linked up with: