February 15, 2013

the walls in my house

I like to decorate. It's one of my favorite things to do. And I really love using Pinterest for new and brilliant ideas.
The thing I seem to focus on the most when decorating, are the walls of my home. 
I want them painted and the pictures hung. After that, I can focus on the rest of the room.
I have my downstairs pretty much done, and am working my way to the bedrooms upstairs.
But before I make it upstairs, there's the staircase. I'm scratching my head over that one. I have a vague idea of what I want. When I was a little girl, my Granny had a million family pictures hung all over the walls of her hallway, and I always loved it. And so I know I want a million family pictures hanging in my staircase... I just haven't decided how to do it.
I'm not a huge fan of picture frames, so I'm leaning towards some of these ideas:

1. I love this photo wall. Think of all the instagram photos I could use!

2. And this one:

{unknown}

3. And I really, really love this giant print DIY:

And you know The Lettered Cottage? I love that website. Their style is right up my alley. They're super talented and I wish they lived near me so I could invite them over to decorate my house.
They hung this plate collection in their sunroom, and I think it's so pretty:


And guess what? I hung a plate collection above my couch last year, and it makes me feel really talented that I thought of doing that before Kevin and Layla did. Except their's is way cooler, and now I'm going to have to redo mine and add some bowls in with the plates.
But still, my plate collection is one of my favorite things in the house.


Some of those plates belonged to Moma, Granny, and my great grandmother. I picked up the rest at TJ Maxx, Pier 1, and the Target clearance rack. The Audrey clock was a gift. It doesn't have numbers. I can't tell time on it. But it looks pretty so that doesn't matter. And if you look closely at Audrey's face, you can see my dining room. Bonus for you, man!

And finally, look what I made last night while I watched 4 episodes of Psych in a row:


It's a quilt square thingy. Didn't it turn out nice? I'm so pleased with it. It was a lot of hand stitching and gave me a Charley horse in my left hand, but over all it was a pretty easy sewing project.
I wasn't sure what to do with it at first, but I've decided to finish off the edges and frame it.
Also, I love little projects like this. They make me feel so much better about myself when I'm sitting around in my sweatpants all day, having a Psych marathon, eating potato chips. I'm like, Look at me being productive... who CARES whether or not I've brushed my teeth today?

Love,
The Interior Designer. Basically.