August 02, 2013

hello

It's been so long since I've written that I'm, like, totally confused by the sight of my keyboard.
I've been busy. Family is busy. Church is busy. Work is really busy. My house is busy. My brain is busy. Plans are busy, and there's no end in sight yet.
But it's all been a good busy so it's okay. I've missed writing though, and it's kinda nice to be clicking away at the alphabet right now.

So anyway, hi there, you guys! Happy summer to you! I'll tell you everything I've been up to, and it'll be all disconnected, and random, and busy, and I'm sure you won't mind.

I made jam last night. Mexican Vanilla Peach Jam and Strawberry Peach Jam. It didn't set. (Why does that happen? All I did was reduce the sugar.) So basically, I guess, I made a fruity, syrupy stuff that can be poured over ice cream and pancakes. I made plum jam last year, and it was perfect. I'd just like everyone to know that. I love making jam. I could make jam all day. It makes me feel smart. Unless it doesn't set. Then I just feel like a loser.

I love and adore those lids.

I just made these homemade pore strips. And I'm here to say, those puppies work. I'm also here to say, those puppies hurt like fire and brimstone. And I'd like to go a little farther, and just warn everyone, don't put these pore strips anywhere near your eyebrows. Unless you'd like to be eyebrowless. I speak from recent experience. I no longer have bushy eyebrows. These pore strips will not only clean out your pores, but will also remove all facial hair, and about 4 layers of skin. But since they worked, I'll be using them again. I'm tough like that.

I have a terrible itch to do some sewing. Say, whaaat??? I hate sewing so I don't know where the itch is coming from. I want to make a dress ( something like this dress), and a quilt. I don't know what's wrong with me. I should probably see a doctor.

I'm making hand soap as we speak. It's boiling on the stove right now. It's grapefruit scented. Grapefruit is such a nice, fresh scent. I'll post the recipe for you if it works! And if it doesn't work, I'll never mention it again, and homemade hand soap will go onto my list of things to never do again.

I've been in a very nesty mood lately. I keep making things and redecorating the house. I cleaned out the craft room, and turned it into a little girl's room. It isn't completely finished yet, I need new bedding and curtains, but it's so cute. I took before and almost after photos, but I accidently deleted them all. So you'll just have to imagine it because I'm too lazy to take new ones.

I had this conversation with a cop in my driveway yesterday:
Me: *gets out of truck. walks towards house.*
Cop: Ma'am?
Me: I didn't do it.
Cop: We know about that car.
Me: Car?
Cop: Yeah... we have the keys. *waves keys in my face*
Me: That's good. *looks confused*
Cop: We arrested the guy.
Me: How sad.
Cop: Well, I just wanted you to know so you weren't wondering.
Me: Thank you.
Now I'm just wondering, what was he talking about and who got arrested? Will I ever know? Why was he in my driveway? These are the questions that keep me awake at night.

I had this conversation with a grody, old guy the other day, a grody guy that I had never seen before in my life:
Me: *rakes flowerbed*
Grody Guy: *pulls into the parking lot near me*
Grody Guy: Hey... am I in your way?
Me: Nope.
Grody Guy: Really? Cause I was kinda hoping I was in your way...
Me: Nope, you aren't.
Grody Guy: Did you have a nice weekend?
Me: Yep.
Grody Guy: Cause you look chipper today.
Me: Thank you.
Grody Guy: I like your hair up like that... course I also really like your hair down too.
Me:
Notice the top part of my left eyebrow that isn't there? Pore strips, man.

This brings me to something that's really been getting on my nerves lately. I'm a creep magnet. I'd love to say I'm a hot guy magnet, but alack, that'd be a lie. I do, however, attract creepers like nobody's business. And I just want to know, do they honestly think I'm interested? Do they really think they're being all witty and cool or something? I'm a polite person, and it isn't easy for me to tell them to bug off, but in the last several months, I've decided that there's no need for politeness anymore. They are gross. I will tell them so.
Thank you for listening to my ranting. The end.

Some other things that I don't like: White ice cream. White chickens. White chocolate. White bread. And parties of any kind. Also, dog poop.

I'm completely obsessed with honeybees right now. I want to be a beekeeper. But two things stand in my way: It's expensive to start up beekeeping, and my landlord is all frowny face over having "pets". But it's okay. In the meantime, I've read about 20 books on beekeeping (thank you, Rachel, for being a good librarian friend, and getting all those books for me), and I buy things with bees on them. Like my new coffee canister. It has a little bumblebee on the front. My favorite books so far were Plan Bee (Which Rachel bought for me. Yay for Rachel!) and Homegrown Honeybees. Did you know that a queen bee lays up to 2000 eggs per day? And the worker bees get to decide whether or not those eggs will be a new queen or more workers? And what the baby bee will be when it grows up is determined by what the nurse bees feed it? Did you know that it takes approximately a dozen bees, the pollen/nectar from 2600 flowers, and 850 miles of bee flight to make up just one lone teaspoon of honey? Did you know bees secrete a "home" scent so they'll know which hive is theirs? That's one of my favorite things about bees. Home scent. Bees are cool.

I found this bee print on Pinterest. It's from Ello Lovely, and I want to buy it.

All the towns around here had parades in July. We participated in them all. I don't like watching parades, but I love having a float in the parade.

You can't even see the float for the people. That's some of my church. I like them.

Here's some pictures of the girls:

Lily, the princess

Emma, the homemaker


A bunch of Charlie Chaplins

Isn't Karen so pretty in this picture? And Molly's face... that girl cracks us up.

Emma's bestie, Emma, and Hannah

Molly-pop being herself

Emma, Hannah, Karen, Leah, and Lucy. Leah's looking so much like Karen these days.

My job is expanding. Mostly, I'm still a gardener. I'm also a house/dog sitter. As in, I'm living in my client's house indefinitely. This is his vacation home, and he doesn't like it being empty. He comes back for business every now and then, and I go home on those days. I'm fine with this... there's a pool and a hot tub, and pretty much everything else you could imagine. But also, he has about 14,000 acres of farm land a couple hours away, and I'm getting to participate in the harvesting this year. You have no idea how excited I am about this. I went to the farms for the first time yesterday. It was beautiful, and I rode in a combine. And besides the farms, he's putting in some housing developments, and I get to work with landscape architects on the design. Actually, let me clarify, they fired the architect, hired my old boss, Jack, from the golf course, and now he and I are doing all the design ourselves. It's bigger than anything I've ever done, but surprisingly easy.
Speaking of Jack. When I stopped working at the golf course a few years ago, the thing I missed the most were my co-workers. I missed Jack and his wife, Mary Ann. I missed the crew. I was used to seeing them everyday and it made me really sad to say goodbye. But now Jack and Mary Ann both work with me everyday, and I think it's the coolest thing. There are some days when I wonder if I'll wake up and find this job is all a really awesome dream or something. I love my job. It's such a blessing.

Look at those tires! They're huge! The sickle is 40 feet across.

Mary Ann and I always forget to tie things down in the back of the truck. So one day, we're driving down I90, and suddenly I look behind me and see a tree go flying down the interstate, and all the cars scattering behind us. Have you ever run down the middle of a busy interstate to retrieve a tree? Have you ever run down the middle of the interstate with said tree on your shoulder? I like to live on the edge like that.
One day, we were driving in the truck, heading down to Coeur d'Alene to work some place, and Mary Ann says to me, Have you ever noticed that it's always colder down here? And I said, Mary Ann... I just turned on the A/C. And she was like, Oh. Anyway. 
She and I get along really well, and we're always amazed by our ability to stay alive on a daily basis.
She bought me this tablecloth. I have a thing for vintage tablecloths.


This is my brother, Jason:


This is my sister, Karen:


We just discovered they're twins. We never knew before Karen's mustache.

I'm helping out with decorating for a wedding that's taking place in just a few weeks:

 Congratulations to Marco and Lydia!

She received so many gifts at her shower!

I throw birdseed out in my backyard every few days or so. I love seeing all the birds hopping around on the ground, chirping happily. I feel like I'm helping God keep his eye on the sparrow.

I laugh louder than everyone else at church. I didn't know this until a lot of people started pointing it out. Rachel paid me a really nice compliment the other day. She was like, I knew you were in a bad mood because you weren't laughing really loud at everything like you normally do. 
Some other friends told me that they wanted to sit by me so they could, hear you laughing like a horse.
Well now. I'm happy to have that reputation.

Love,
Excuse Me While I Go Take A Nap Because I'm Tired