September 10, 2013

diy: hand soap

I made hand soap the other day. Or the other week. I seriously can't remember when I made it.
At some point in my life, I made hand soap.
There are so many things one can do with hand soap.


You can run it thru your fingers, and comment on how it reminds you of mucus.


You can force the dog to pose with it.


You can use it to prop things up with.


And you can take selfies with it.


And there are a lot more possibilities where that came from.

I wanted to make it for three reasons:
1. It's CHEAP. Very cheap. And my cheap heart was all, pitter patter. Seriously, I made over a gallon of hand soap for less than 5 bucks. How do you like them apples? I like them apples a lot.
2. I'm super duper sensitive to scents/smells. Like throw-up/migraine sensitive. You might be able to walk into Bath &Body Works and pick a hand soap from out of 50 billion different scents, but I can only choose from like, maybe 4 different scents. But if I make my own soap, I can make up my own scent combos and have control of the scent "strength". Who knows, maybe I'll be able to have lavender hand soap! I like to live on the edge like that.
3. I prefer bottles of hand soap over bar soap. There's nothing more horrifying than going to wash your hands in a strange bathroom, and  looking down and seeing a slimy, slobbery, old, used bar of soap that someone else used right before you. Right after they wiped and stuff. Eww. It's like, now I have to go over to the bathtub and get some shampoo out of the bottle to wash my hands with.

So anyway, I made hand soap and it was easy. And cheap.

DIY Hand Soap

Ingredients:

1 gallon distilled water
2 tbls liquid glycerin
1 8oz bar soap

You can add essential oils if you want. I did. My bar soap was grapefruit scented, and I had grapefruit essential oils so I added a bunch to make it smell yummier. But it's optional.

And you'll need some soap dispensers. Or a jar to store it all in.

Directions:

1. Grate bar of soap on cheese grater
2. Bring gallon of water to a boil
3. Add soap shavings and glycerin to boiling water
4. Turn heat to medium high and stir until shavings are dissolved
5. Allow soap to "set/harden" for about 4 hours
6. Stir and pour into soap dispenser

Tips:

1. If your soap is a little too hard, you can blend it with a hand mixer while adding a little water at a time until it's the correct consistency.

2. If your soap is too thin, you can reheat it and add more soap shavings to thicken it up.

3. From what I've been reading around the blogosphere, Dove bar soap doesn't really work for this recipe. I don't know why. It sounds like you can use pretty much any other soap though. I used a grapefruit scented, goat's milk soap that some random person gave me, and it worked perfectly.

4. The link for the original recipe is right here. There's a lot more tips in the comment section of that post.

I love how easy this was to make. And cheap. Don't forget cheap.

Love,
El Cheapo