dwell together in unity




The thing that I’ve been the most fearful of this year hasn’t been the world, politics, governments, riots, or the coronavirus. It’s been the church. I’ve worried a ridiculous amount about the church and keep having to bring myself back to the basics: God is in control. I worry about division within my church family when unity is critical. I worry about bickering and prideful opinions gagging us all to death. I’m not talking about disagreements. We will always have those. We are human. I’m talking about bitterness toward each other. Unforgiving when we disagree. Malice. The body attacking the body like an autoimmune disease.


I have endless political opinions. I am no different from anyone else there. I believe politics are important and Christians should be involved in them. I’ve been concerned about the government overstepping into our lives and the media’s dishonesty. I am a rule abider by nature. I hope I always stay that way providing it isn’t immoral or anti-God. But even my rule loving personality does not love the rule I see right now in my country.

The love of money is the root of all evil. Only by pride cometh contention. Both of those scriptures are so apparent in current events!

I have felt more patriotism this year than I ever have in my life. Anger has burned in me over the lack of respect and over the ungratefulness I’ve been seeing in Americans. (Side note: I watched The Patriot the other day and was like, that isn’t Mel Gibson’s son... that’s my son! Where is my tomahawk so I can defend my precious seven children! Whack whack!)


But I pray that those opinions of mine and of others never overshadow biblical doctrine and doing what is right. My knee jerk reaction is to place a great deal of importance on my own opinions and to want others to agree with me. I have to ask myself if what I’m taking a stand for is about Christ or about opinion. If it will draw others to Christ or push them away. If it is the example Christ would set. If it will encourage my Christian family or cripple them with a burden. Is it worth it. 


@stopandconsider posted a few days ago, on her Instagram account, that 2020 hasn’t filled her with fear, but has instead whet her appetite for things of God more than any other year. I LOVE that. I have felt the same. At some point in the last few months, I’ve said to myself for heaven’s sake you just ZIP IT and focus on God. I’ve felt this craving for people and things that will encourage my walk with the Lord, and find myself discarding things that are distractions both online and in real life. Give me what is important.


“To be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.”


“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.”


“But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth. 

....Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye. 

And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness.”


“It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.

They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.

The Lord is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him.”


2020 has been a mirror that God has used to make me look at myself. (I know there’s a 2020 vision pun in that somewhere!) When I find myself upset or worried about things, I feel like God is just pointing out my own beam and telling me to clean up my own act. Conviction. Trust in the Lord. Hope in the Lord. Discard distractions. Don’t place politics before Christ. Let go of anger. Be long suffering. Turn your eyes upon Jesus. Choose you this day whom ye will serve... but as for me and my house we will serve the Lord.


*I wrote everything above last night, and then at church today the messages were so good! Battle for Your Mind and Bitterness. Gah!! Exactly what I needed to hear and I cried through them! I woke up with such a bad attitude this morning and feeling unwell, and thought I’d rather stay home today! Thank God for good habits. I went anyway and got what I needed. Both just so encouraging to me to keep my mind on the right things. God is for us. We are the body of Christ and should be striving together with one mind. Set aside bitterness. Hope in God. Crazy times or not, God is the same. I am way dumbing down today’s sermons but you get it (I hope).

Here are a few more scriptures that were brought up today.


“Let nothing be done through strife or vain glory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.”


“Finally brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue , and if there be any praise, think on these things.”


“And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect will of God.”


Unity, transformed, lowliness of mind, spiritually minded, forbearing, forgiving. I love those words. They aren’t easy for me to apply though. I’m short tempered, impatient, ready to fight. What an ugly, carnal personality. 

I’ve worried over political division within our church and, separately, worried over our young adults/kids facing grown up decisions so much this year. My heart feels burdened for the world as it suffers, but it down right aches and grieves for Christians. I am apparently the world’s biggest crier because it’s all I do anymore. 

But if I want to see others do right, best to start with myself. 

Comments