A Few Milestones


Luna learned a few new things this past week or so. Aaron and I don’t like it. She’s on her way to being a teenager, apparently. 

I remember crying when I switched her from a bottle to a cuppy even though I was sick of the bottle. Well, this week has been a few rapid fire, big girl moves.




First off, while watching Rio 2, Aaron said,”Look, Luna! Look at all the bees!” Luna has always called birds “bees” and actual bees are “owie bees”. But when he said that she responded with,”Dada!! No! Not bee, BIRD!”

Here is a picture of Aaron crying. It hit him hard. Two days later he was literally still crying about it.




She learned how to unzip her sleep sack and take it off. And attempted to take her onesie off, but thankfully her leggings kept it mostly on. So no more little ghostie girl sleeping in a cozy sleep sack. I do not like it.








I put her in her crib one morning so I could shower in peace. All the sudden there she was standing proudly behind me. “Mama!! Hi there! Oh nice!” I didn’t like it. But I did immediately take her back to her room so I could get a video of her climbing out of the crib for Dada. Neither of us like the video. Here are some screen shots from the video. They’re the worst. Whose big kid is this??






We moved her to a twin bed. I was certain it would go horribly and I would need to put her back into the crib. She didn’t make a peep or get up once. Slept like a pro in the big bed. Aaron and I both said despondently, after checking on her ten times,“Wow what a good girl.” This is actually a good thing because now baby sister can have the crib. But it doesn’t feel like a good thing, haha!






She learned how to get her “stool” (aka my mixing bowl that she loves) and turn on the espresso machine for Dada. We actually like this one. She says coffee button in the cutest way. “Cafe butt-ON.” The very smallest barista. 


She learned how to use the same stool and turn all the lights on and off. We have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, we are constantly turning lights on or off. On the other hand, she hates the dark and is very scared of the owl that she imagines lives in our downstairs bathroom. She won’t even walk past the door if the light is off. We have no idea how she got this idea into her head or how she even learned of owls in the first place. But they are the most terrifying things in the world. She led me to the bathroom door one day, and pointed to the shadow that the toilet tank casts onto the washing machine. “Mama. Owl. Skeery.” And it does kinda look like an owl! 

But now she can use my mixing bowl and reach the light switch to chase the owl away. She will slowly and verrrrry carefully approach the bathroom door. Poised to run if any owls fly out. Peek verrrry carefully around the door into the bathroom. Quickly put the stool in place, JUMP in there, and switch the light on as fast as she can. Then super relieved, she will say “Shoe” and swipe her hand across her forehead like she just escaped a big one. She’ll come out and let us know there is no more scary owl in there.

A few nights back, Aaron decided to make owl noises at her while she turned on the light. “Whoooo whoooo” We could hear that bowl SKITTER across the tile as she came running out crying,”NOOOOO DADA NOOO OWLS”. We didn’t realize she would react with that much fear and felt bad. But we also laughed so hard.


She did NOT learn how to potty train. I tried. I need to try again, but would rather die. Luna thought it was the best time of her life. And if peeing in her diaper 30 seconds after I put it back on every.single.time. is a success, then we knocked it out of the park. But she did learn to run to the kitchen for some poop time privacy. So that’s something, haha! We will see her take off running, arms and legs flying in every direction as she careens around corners, getting to the kitchen as quickly as possible. 




She got to finger paint for the first time last month. It has been a huge hit! She loves it so much. Especially if I turn my back and she can “accidentally” paint her face. “Ope! Oops, Mama!” Do you see the pink Radio Flyer behind her in these pics? That’s what happens when Dad and Luna go to Walmart together. Aaron can’t pass up the toy aisles. Luna loves it and calls it “PINKKKK!!”. 








She has started a new thing when we’re in the shower. Sitting in her baby doll high chair, eating goldfish out of her toy tea set.




She calls dresses dance. “The dance, Mama?” pointing to the dress she wants to wear. She can’t wait to wear her long, pink Easter dress. It’s a very special “dance”. Anytime she sees me in a dress she says,”Pretty dance, Mama!” She loves to twirl in dresses. And I love how these things are just in a little girl. I don’t dance and twirl in my dresses. But she does without any prompting.


And final thing on the Luna news front. She’s learned to say,”Aha!! Idea!” while holding up her tiny pointer finger like she just had a lightbulb moment. We’ll ask her,”What’s your idea, Luna?” “Snack!! Mama, snack!” or “No nap, Mama!” or “Watch the TB (tv)!”. She’s full of lots of ideas.


I feel like each day has so much change in it and I wish I could take it all in my grasp and never let go. Never forget these blessing days full of such a bright, happy, delightful little squirt. 


Comments