Covid-19










Unrelated pictures of us. You’re welcome because our baby is cute.



It’s strange to think we are living something that’ll be in history books one day. Something we’ll tell our kids about. I don’t know exactly what to think about all of this, really. I’ve been waffling around in my mind over it. I thought it was nothing when I first heard of it in December. A lady I follow on Instagram had to cancel their family’s trip to visit their daughter’s bio family in China. I thought why? It’s just a virus that I’ve never heard of. She said so many people had died and their family over there was in lockdown. They were terrified. Our missionaries in China sent out a prayer request as they tried to get to a safer place because they said it’s so much worse than the media is saying. I thought I’m just glad that it will never affect me or anyone close to me. I prayed for them once. But now people I know are in hospitals, in critical condition. People I know are very sick and in isolation. Not just in China. Right here in northern Idaho. 


Will I tell Luna one day that thousands of people were dying around the world, but not enough people were dead yet so I didn’t think staying home was necessary. What death toll is high enough to take it seriously?


I’ve researched as much as I know how. I check up on things every other day or so. I don’t read or watch the news outlets because I have zero trust in what they report. But I do look for stories from individuals who are living in other countries that have it worse than we do. At this point, that includes people in some areas of the United States as well. I want to know their perspective. I want to know what they’re enduring right now. I do look at websites like the CDC and WHO. I want to know statistics. I’m watching those death numbers go up and up so fast. I try to be wise with what I do or don’t believe. There are many dying, and there are many recovering.


We are being asked to stay home. Our governor issued a shelter in place order. I don’t believe the government always has my best interests in mind. I just don’t believe that my well being matters very much to them for the most part. But they are my government. My leaders. The law of the land where I live. I respect that, when they aren’t asking me to go against God. Which they aren’t right now as far as I can see. I’m fairly certain quarantine or “sheltering in placing” does not violate any Biblical law. Separating oneself during sickness isn’t new . Quarantine is proven to slow infectious disease. Learn from history. Something everyone likes to say, but no one likes to do.


I’m heavy hearted, but I’m not scared. I’m not worried. I haven’t been affected very much by this so it’s been easy for me. We are young. We aren’t as vulnerable to this disease. We aren’t likely to lose our jobs. We have been able to buy everything we’ve needed or wanted. We Dave Ramsey it up around here and have an E-Fund. I am loving being at home this much with no expectations or need to do anything. I’m very thankful for being able to be in this position. I’m sorry for those who aren’t. I’m aware of how blessed I am right now, and I don’t take it for granted. I don’t deserve what I have.


I feel terribly for the people this has affected. The people who have lost loved ones to Covid-19. The people who are dying in hospitals, totally alone. The people who are scared of their businesses going under. The people who have lost income and are wondering how to provide for their family. The people at home who are separated from their loved ones in hospitals right now. The people who are looking for food, particularly in third world countries where people are in mile long lines trying to buy food before/during quarantine. They can’t buy food like we can here. They buy for one day at a time. It’s all they can afford. The people who are very, very scared right now because they don’t know where to put their trust. The people who are feeling hopeless. The doctors and nurses who are working so hard right now and often being separated from their families.


I read an Instagram post written by a lady about how her preemie baby was taken to the hospital with RSV last week. A near death experience. She had to be tested for COVID-19 and until they got the negative results back, neither of the parents were allowed in the hospital with the baby. They got the results in about two days and then were allowed with their baby one at a time. Guys, that would kill me. It’s a precaution taken to prevent spreading Covid-19 to others in the hospital, and I think it’s understandable. I can’t imagine having to leave Luna. I was crying reading her story, just imagining going through that with Luna.


I can’t say don’t panic or don’t fear. Although I hope you aren’t fearful, and I don’t believe panic helps. But there is a need to be cautious. I can’t compare this to the flu (like I was several weeks ago) after reading about army trucks carrying dead bodies out of towns in Italy, and 60+ doctors dead after caring for the sick over there, and over 9,000 people dead in a matter of weeks in one small country. I’ve never seen or heard of the flu doing that. I’ve never seen or heard of the flu overwhelming the hospitals in the way this has. I’ve never seen or heard of the flu depleting medical resources like this has. I can’t say this affects the elderly and immunocompromised, the already weak and vulnerable, so the rest of us are safe. “It doesn’t affect me!” I feel ashamed to admit that I HAVE said that. As though it’s some sort of comfort? Some sort of excuse to just not care? I love the elderly people in my life. I want them to live as long as possible. I love my mom and my sister who work in nursing homes. I love the people I know with cancer, with cystic fibrosis, with asthma, with heart disease. I want them to be healthy and safe. 


No one is asking anything insane or morally wrong of us. Are they? Stay home if you can. Stay home as much as possible. Leave only for the essentials. Is that so much to ask? Is your home and your family so terrible that you can’t bear that simple of a thing? I feel like I must be missing something when I see people complaining about staying home and just choosing not to. What am I missing? What harm will come to you if you skip a shopping trip or that coffee date or a haircut or a vacation?

I’m not talking about leaving for jobs, or food, or emergencies, or leaving to help those who desperately need it. I’m talking about leaving your house unnecessarily.


I understand that not everyone loves staying home as much as I do. It would be difficult for extroverts and people who thrive on activities outside of home. It would be hard on people who suffer from depression and anxiety to stay home. It’s hard on people who simply aren’t used to being home. It’s unsettling at best. Routines are disrupted. I’m not saying you must love it, or that it will be easy for everyone, but you can DO it. Just like you can eat that vegetable you hate or go to the gym or wake up early for work or get up all night with your baby. 

Be still. Be quiet. Be home. Do the organizing, the child training, the fun home activities. All those things that you say you never have time for. Do them now. Think of all the times you’ve said how stressed and tired you are, and then stay home and be grateful for this time to rest and catch up on the slow things. Be grateful no matter what, but be especially grateful if you, like myself, aren’t so affected by this.

Just stay home if you can. It’s only for a matter of weeks. Maybe stop watching the news and instead look for the people who are suffering and take it seriously. 


On another note, I have cried so many times the past couple weeks over nice people. I’ve seen so many people helping others, encouraging others, and just a unity that isn’t typical. I LOVE IT SO MUCH. It’s so beautiful and gives a glimpse of how God intended mankind to be. Go follow goodnews_movement on Instagram. They post great stuff. And there are so many more accounts like them. There are so many helpers.


I’m also curious to see how many people will realize that a slower life is a good thing. How many people will learn to love their home and be more content with what they have after this. 


Also, this toilet paper hoarding is hilarious. Thank you, America, for all the memes that you have inspired with this. I have cried literal tears of laughter.



Anyway guys, these are just my rambling thoughts. And I’m staying home except for going outside and to the grocery store for the items I can’t get delivered to my house because I think it’s the simplest thing we can possibly do to potentially help others. 


“Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” 

John 14:27


“Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honor preferring one another;

Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord;

Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;

Distributing to the necessity of the saints; given to hospitality.

Bless them which persecute you: bless and curse not.

Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep.

Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but consent to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits.”

Romans 12:10-16

Comments