Communion

When I was a little girl communion terrified me. I don't know why, but it did. I would sit thru the service with a knot in the pit of my belly, certain God was a God wrath waiting to strike me dead. With a lightning bolt or something. He never did though, and I learned to swallow my terror.

Karen's girls are a little more practical about it.

Emma was telling the girls that she could take communion this time.
They said, "No you can't. You're not saved".
She wailed indignatly," Yes I am to saved! Re'nember that time I drew a picture of Jesus??? So I am saved!"

Then at church while we waited somberly for Tim to read the Bible and give us our cue, she turned to me with sparkling eyes.
Emma:   "I can't wait to be able to take communion."
Me:   "When you get saved, you can."
Emma:   happily..."No, not like that. I just want to take it because it's like a quiet tea party! With little cups!"


After it was over Lucy turned seriously to Grandma Sherry, and said in her deep voice," It's too bad everyone didn't take two. There's more than enough to go around."

Sigh...kids these days.

Comments