for shelly


I want you to know:

When I was a little girl, you were like God.
I don't mean to be sacrilegious, but I thought you pretty much hung the stars and breathed life into the human race.

You liked Coke, it was suddenly my fav drink.
You hated mayo, so did I. I still hate that nasty stuff.
You and Karen wanted your hair played with, I played with yours. Sorry about that, Karen....
You got mad at me, and pretty much pulled my ear off my head, I forgave you lovingly.

Everything you did was cool.
I wanted to be you.

I wanted to read books like you. I still love to read.
You told me no one could frenchbraid like me, and I felt my heart skip around like crazy.
You were the boss, the elder sibling, the queen, and I was your most loyal, bratty subject.
I worried when you got angry with me. Remember that time you were working with Dad all day, and when you came home no one had washed the dishes for you? And I felt so sorry for you, I made a card spelling out my remorse and agony for you? I had felt like such a heel, the worst sister ever born.

Remember how much I always loved those little dried up Swiss Miss marshmallows? And how you saved all your marshmallow packets for me, and gave them to me all at once? There were probably fifty packets in that box. I adored you for that.

Remember how bad I wanted that red and white crystal bracelet from the antique store? But when I went back to get it, it was gone, and I was so disappointed? And then, four months later you gave it to me for my birthday, all sparkling with a brand new clasp? It's still my favorite bracelet.

Remember how you would come pick me up, and I would run all your errands with you and the babies? My job was to sit in the car and watch the kids while you ran in to pay the bills.

Remember when the church fell apart, and it felt like it was just us against everyone else? So we leaned on each other, and were better for it.

I depended on you.
Needed you.

Remember how Karen got married and moved away, and we didn't know what to do with ourselves? So we became best friends, and when I moved away too, I felt my heart break over leaving you behind.

I missed you when I left. I wanted to bring you guys with me.
I still miss you.
You've always held a soft spot in my heart.
I want to make you happy for always.
You don't have to cuddle with your tissue box anymore.....you can call me and cuddle with your cell phone instead:)

You are valuable to me.
I love you to pieces, dear.


Me n' you

Me n' you a few years later :}

Comments

  1. wow that was really sweet..:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that and I had forgotten about that note!Yes I miss you sitting in my car when I come out of G&A.There's no one to tell me how I look when I open the dressing room door.But cuddling with the cell phone works pretty well;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love you, shelly belly. you look good when you open the dressing room door:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment