morning routine


Since Daphne’s birth I have just been in a slump. Really depressed, unmotivated, feeling unhealthy, and lots of anger. No clue if that is all hormones or what, but I hate it.

I thrive on routine and meeting goals. So a couple weeks ago I decided to pull myself up out of this slump and make a few small changes in my diet and morning routine (Also joining a gym which I start in a week or so). It has helped me so much and truly made such a difference in such a short time. Having small, achievable goals is highly motivating for me. I knew I could not handle anything huge like suddenly going on a sugar free/gluten free/dairy free diet. I cannot train for a marathon right now. I would just quit if I tried doing that. So I just replaced some unhealthy foods with healthy ones, added in some supplements, cut back on milk/coffee which I drink TONS of, and keeping track of drinking good amounts of water. It has been very easy so far and meal planning/prep really helps me stay on track.

I take the girls for a walk as soon as Aaron leaves for work. It’s so quiet and peaceful that early and the weather is so chilly and nice. We have been loving it so much. It rained one day, but thankfully not enough to keep us from walking. I ordered rain gear that morning though because the thought of rain keeping us inside gave me a lump in my throat. Plus I love rain so I want to be out in it. After getting back from our walk, we do household chores, yoga stretches (new routine), Bible time, a cooked breakfast (new routine, I usually skip breakfast), get dressed for the day, and then we head to my job for a few hours.

This has helped me feel so much better mentally, emotionally, and physically. But it has also helped me with Luna which I didn’t expect. My mornings are always rushed as I fly thru household chores, taking care of babies, and rush out the door to work- feeling desperate and hectic. Luna follows me around whining and asking for attention while I tell her to wait because I’m busy. And I really do have to do all these things. Then I am in a terrible mood which Luna feels because I hate the rush, I hate telling her I’m busy, I hate the whining. I feel guilty for not having more one on one time with her. I come home from work dead tired and doing anything fun isn’t an option at that point.

For the past 10 days, it has been so different. Yes, I still have to literally run thru my house as I do chores and get babies taken care of. And I have to get up a little earlier. But there is the reward of spending this time with Luna now. We walk together, eat our breakfast together, do our yoga together, and read together (I set a timer for Luna reading and this has really clicked with her. She will sit quietly reading her books while I read my Bible until she hears the beep. Then she is back to her usual loud self). She has craved this and it has been the answer to all those negative things for us both. I am so, so happy with doing this and really looking forward to starting the gym. 

I take a picture every day on our walk to send to Aaron. He texted me back this morning,”I love these pictures every morning. They’re my highlight by far.”


Me: How old will you be on your Birthday?”

Luna: “THREEEEEE”











I love to hear the geese overhead.



One second before she murdered this caterpillar by stepping on him. “I did not want him to run away, Mama.” 




“Take a picture of this puddle for Dada.”


“Take a picture of this pinecomb for Dada.”


Daphne has the most beautiful eyes.




The pink sunrise every morning is another favorite of mine.






Before and after a fishing boat came by. 




Luna pushing this stroller on our walks is the best!


Unimpressed.



Comments