part 3: more mushy stuff

I've discovered, since dating Aaron, that I am basically 14 years old. I've used the heart eyes emoji hundreds of times in the past year. I'm totally  twitterpated, and not even sorry. But as mushy as I've become, I'm nothing compared to Aaron. Which pleases me to no end.

Me: Love you, babe. Whassup?
Aaron: I love you too, princess plum pudding love muffin.
Me: Did you just call me plum pudding?




A lot of people have asked me what Aaron is like, and how we are together. We have a lot of differences. I'm the queen of impatience, he's pretty steady and patient. I'm super uptight about rules and being on time, he's more relaxed and always late. I like to plan things way ahead of time and follow a schedule, he totally flies by the seat of his pants. I freak out over things, he's always calm and rational. I like things to stay the same, he's more adventurous. I'm practical, he's also practical but doesn't mind taking risks if he thinks it's worth it. I don't care for chick flicks, he loves them. I know next to zero things about Star Wars other than that I watched them and liked them well enough to have a marathon, Aaron knows literally every single thing there is to know about Star Wars. I'm too impatient for video games because the stupid controller makes me shoot at the floor and the ceiling and basically everything but the bad guys, but Aaron can level up in no time. I'm a total ditz, Aaron isn't. Aaron is a romantic who likes poetry, writing with an actual quill and ink, and sappy love songs. I am also sappy, but I'd rather write on my laptop. And I don't want to watch a romcom unless it has martial arts in it. He loves fast sports cars, and I'm more like, There's a cop, there's a cop, there's a cop.

On the flip side, we're both horrible procrastinators. We both cry over happy endings (I told you he's sappy). We both love nerdy scifi and Kung fu movies. We both love coffee. We're both horribly forgetful. We're both stubborn (this is usually a bad thing). We both love music, and to sing (Aaron plays guitar and likes to write music too. I'm less talented so I just listen.). And, very important, we're both homebodies. We agree on all the important things, and disagree on a few not so important things. He started watching Doctor Who for my sake, even though he wasn't originally crazy about the idea. And I, the girl who hates southern gospel music, have actually listened to a dozen Gaither songs without dying because he loves it.


I was a little bit discouraged when Aaron didn't propose to me after a few days of flirting like a brazen hussy. He wasn't the sharpest about picking up on a hint. What I didn't know until later, was that Aaron's brother and his wife, Alex and Lizzie, were totally chatting Aaron up about me. And Lizzie made sure to go out of her way to make sure Aaron and I were together a lot. And I found out later that Aaron had had his eye on me for quite some time.
Anyway, when I realized he would be leaving for his parent's house the next day, I was super sad. But then Rachel told me that we were also leaving to go to the Hoover's house that weekend so I perked up and started making wedding plans again. I am ever the optimistic.

I spent the next day dying of impatience until we could leave for the Hoover's. And once we got there, I spent the weekend happily following Aaron around some more. Except for one evening when we were alone in the kitchen, and I suddenly forgot how to speak English so I tore out of there like the place was on fire. Aaron asked me about that later and I was like, Te amo?

Remember when I said Rachel finally noticed something was up? I happen to enjoy stacking wood in small amounts. And the Hoovers happened to have some wood that needed cut and stacked. So what better way to force Aaron to spend time with me than to get us all out there cutting and stacking wood, right? So I cheerfully ran outside to start while everyone else dragged their feet behind me. What I didn't realize was that there was enough wood out there to build a flipping palace. And it took for.ev.er. I was dying. My back went out. I had a migraine. I took a four hour nap afterwards. But about halfway through the job, Aaron's mom was like, Hey girls let's run to get some lunch for everyone and the guys can finish this up. Rachel dropped her piece of wood and booked it for the car. I, on the other hand, was like, What I have started, I shall see done to the end. And continued stacking wood. Dude, there was no way I was leaving if Aaron was staying. Whither he went, I would go also. His people would be my people. And his God, my God. Period.
Rachel told me later that she knew something was up at that moment because A) I would never give up the chance to spend more time with Aaron's mom, and B) I'd never give up the chance to quit working.
 It's true I am usually a total quitter when it comes to hard work, given the opportunity. But I am not a quitter when it comes to Aaron.

But Sunday night rolled around, and it was time for Rachel and I to leave. Aaron would head back to ND the next morning. We still hadn't set our wedding date, and that was definitely a problem for me. But I gave Aaron and his parents a hug goodbye, looked mournful, and left. Aaron's mom noticed the mournful look and thought I was mad at Aaron. So she got onto him later, and told him that he should probably be less of his usual sarcastic, mercilessly teasing self next time he came home. He felt bad about that and texted me an apology the next morning.

Whereupon, I sent him 1,736,893,256 bazillion texts for the next week.

And I finally told Rachel about my upcoming nuptials. And Rachel was like, WHAT YOU'VE BEEN SINGLE FOR ONE THOUSAND YEARS AND I THOUGHT YOU WERE NEVER INTERESTED IN AARON HOW DID THIS COME TO PASS.
It took Aaron almost a full week to finally express his undying love to me, and during that time I asked Rachel 1,000 times a day, WHAT IS HE WAITING FOR? 
And she was like, *sigh* Sunny, srsly. Give the guy a chance. It's only been a few days. But I still asked her the same question a million times more.

Rachel sent me some memes during that week, and was like, This is you right now.





At one point, Aaron was watching Doctor Who and texted me a line from the episode that he was watching. You Whovians will probably know what I'm talking about, but I'll explain it for those of you who have never watched the show.
There's this one time that the Doctor takes his companion, Rose, to a spaceship. They just kind of land on said spaceship during a party to which they weren't invited, and when they walk into the party everyone there is giving each other gifts from their various planets. The Doctor and Rose obviously had nothing to give so the Doctor improvises and breathes on this one tree alien woman's face, and he's like, I give you air from my lungs. Its totally hilarious.
But when Aaron randomly texted me that line, I give you air from my lungs, I didn't realize he was trying to share the joke with me because he happened to be watching Doctor Who at that moment. I forgot all about Doctor Who's existence and was like, RACHEL I DON'T KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS BUT HE WANTS TO MARRY ME. And then Rachel reminded me of Doctor Who's existence.

But I'm happy to say, that by the end of the week Aaron finally let me know how he felt, and I was like:


I had never been so happy.
And then we called our family and friends. Everyone was shocked. Aaron's mom was like, Don't even joke with me about this. I don't believe you. You have to understand, I'm not the dating type and I've almost always been super picky. People have tried, unsuccessfully, to set me up with different guys for years and I wanted nothing to do with it. I was planning to be single for the rest of my life, and was truly content with that. For real. I've never daydreamed about a wedding, or even wanted one for that matter. I didn't have a hope chest. I didn't have wedding/marriage/baby boards on Pinterest. I didn't have a list of qualifications that a guy would need to live up to in order to be with me because I've never given it much thought. If anything, I've seen a lot of bad relationships, and didn't want the same thing for myself.
There were only three things that I ever really thought much about wanting out of a relationship:
1) I love Aaron's parent's marriage, and I've always watched them and thought that what they have is worth waiting for.
2) I would want to be with a friend. I don't understand dating someone that you don't know very well.
3) I would need to love his family.
And God met all of those desires, and a lot more that I didn't even realize I would need or want. Aaron is kind, patient, loves the Lord, slow to anger, reasonable, compassionate, and has a great sense of humor that can make me laugh in the worst of times. He didn't back away in disgust when I had to tell him about some things in my past, and he's patient with me when I have a hard time trusting. God knew what I would need before I did.

Lizzie started planning what our future babies would look within the hour, They are going to have the craziest hair ever!
And Aaron's other sister in law, Heather, was like, Adam (Aaron's brother) owes me money now. I told him this would happen someday.
Alex told Lizzie to stop jumping the gun with all the wedding and baby planning, but Aaron and I didn't mind.
Aaron's grandma regularly called his mom in the month that followed to make sure that we were still dating.
My mom was totally chill and acted like it was the most unsurprising, happy thing she had ever heard. Oh that's wonderful! And you're already so close to the family... do you want enchiladas for dinner?
Karen's girls were shocked into silence for the first time ever in their lives, and Lucy burst into tears.

And it was basically like a party for a few days wherein everyone celebrated the shocking and sudden end to my eternal singleness, and the awesomeness of Aaron and I finally being together at long last.

And no one has been more surprised by all of this than me.



Love,
Plum Pudding

Part 1 here
Part 2 here

Comments

  1. You both love coffee. You must get married. The end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!!! WHOOOO!!! FINALLY!! Reading this made me so happy (heart eyes emoji). Actually sprung a tear or two! I just recently got married and ever since then I want EVERYONE I MEET to be with someone special and get married and be as feel and magical and mushy and wonderfully happy and me. So this was supremely satistfying and fulfilling to read. Even tho i had nothing to do with it.
    PS soooooo, when IS the wedding??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! It's all very Disney and stuff. No date set yet (NOT heart eyes emoji). Aaron is working in ND, paying off some student loans. But once he's done with that, he can move back home and we can set a date. Hopefully by next summer.

      Delete

Post a Comment