His voice

I don't know if I'll be able to make sense of this, but it means a lot to me so I'm going to try.

I used to think to hear God's voice was this: to hear it in my ear.
Literally. 
I'm not talking spooky ghost voices, but I guess it's something like that. Only it's God, not a ghost.
If I couldn't hear God's voice in my ear, I considered Him silent.
But I thought that was okay since I could hear Him on a regular basis.
I would ask Him what I should do, and He would answer... in an almost audible voice; like He was right next to me.
I was satisfied with that Voice. I never looked for It anywhere else. Not in the preaching, not in good counsel, not in my Bible reading.
Not that I didn't get anything out of the preaching or Bible reading. Just in my opinion, God only had one voice- the audible one- and I never even knew there was more to it than that.
I never realized I was confining God.

But, then I went without God's voice for a long time.
And when I wanted it back... I had to hunt for it.
I had to search.
Seek high and low.
I had to unearth it from beneath a pile of me.

But what's so wonderful is that after all that searching, I not only found that audible voice again, I found God's voice in so many other places.
It's made Him feel so much closer.
There's His voice in my ear,
in the preaching,
in good counsel,
in the singing at church,
in the smiles on my friend's faces,
in the thunder,
in my family,
in the daily blessings He heaps upon me,
in the gratefulness welling up in my heart,
in the everywhere and everything.

When I've had the most wonderful day, it's like God is saying, See how much I love you?
When something I've been fretting over gets taken care of, that's God saying, I've got you in my Hand. As usual.
When something goes wrong, it's like God is saying, Whoa Nellie, slow down there. You're getting ahead of Me.
When I'm beaten, my face in the gravel, and I feel myself lifted up, things somehow turning out in my favor, it's like God is saying, Hey, I'm your Defender. No one can mess with you and get away with it. I'll teach them Who's really Boss.
When I hear the thunder, I remember that... God thundereth marvellously with his voice; great things doeth he, which we cannot comprehend.     -Job 37:5

It's like I can't get away from His voice.
He's always speaking.
And it's sweet, sweet music to my ears.

Give unto the LORD, O ye mighty,
give unto the LORD glory and strength.
Give unto the LORD the glory due unto his name;
worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness.
The voice of the LORD is upon the waters:
the God of glory thundereth: the LORD is upon many waters.
The voice of the LORD is powerful; the voice of the LORD is full of majesty.
The voice of the LORD breaketh the cedars; yea, the LORD breaketh the cedars of Lebanon.
He maketh them also to skip like a calf; Lebanon and Sirion like a young unicorn.
The voice of the LORD divideth the flames of fire.
The voice of the LORD shaketh the wilderness; the LORD shaketh the wilderness of Kadesh.
The voice of the LORD maketh the hinds to calve, and discovereth the forests:
and in his temple doth every one speak of his glory.
The LORD sitteth upon the flood; yea, the LORD sitteth King for ever.
The LORD will give strength unto his people; the LORD will bless his people with peace.
-Psalm 29


The voice of my beloved! behold, he cometh leaping upon the mountains, skipping upon the hills.
-Song of Solomon 2:8

Comments

Post a Comment